Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Quote of the day

I'm a country boy myself, and I've grown a little wary of Brett. I don't see him as a good ol' boy anymore. When I saw him getting off that private jet (Sunday), I thought that maybe he's sipped too much champagne and liked the taste of it. His self love is overwhelming, and that could turn off a lot of guys now.
-- John Riggins

I know that I'm turned off by seeing another guy do self-loving.

Now here's the wacky potential endgame to the Favre saga. Aaron Rodgers has been classy, but there can be no doubt that he's feeling confused and a little betrayed -- and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Favre were about as friendly right now as Latrell Sprewell and PJ Carlesimo (hooray, old NBA reference!).

So what if the Vikings did obtain via trade a disgruntled Packer quarterback who would love nothing more that to get a shot at his old team -- but not the one they may or may not have been asking about before?

Rodgers' rookie contract expires after this year. After all that's transpired, it seems unthinkable that he would want to remain in Green Bay. And the Packers drafted two quarterbacks (including Brian Brohm) in April, so it's not like they'll be left without options when Brett Favre waffles about returning next year (which he will). And even if you have complete faith in Tarvaris Jackson, wouldn't you prefer Rodgers as a backup to Gus Frerotte?

(And then, when the Vikings fire Brad Childress after the '08 season and lure Bill Cowher from his TV job....hey, it could happen!)

No comments: