Thursday, March 5, 2009

Random thoughts for the day

Good luck, Matt. You were a great player for many years, and a quality guy. I know he was getting a bit long in the tooth and had lost a couple steps, but it'll be hard to see him suit up in another uniform. At least he'll still be wearing purple.

* Isn't it great that, among units of measurement in the U.S., we have the inch, the foot, the yard, the mile...and the football field?

Really, how many times have you heard something like, "The base of the Great Pyramid covers an area equal to 27 (I'm making that number up) football fields" or "The car traveled the length of a football field in just 1.7 seconds." That's what baseball gets for having all those wacky dimensions in their parks -- they can't be used as a standard unit of measure!

* I think I want Terrell Owens to go to the Bears, which is rumored to be one of the places he might end up (despite what this article says, I think the chance of him landing in Minnesota are just about nil). If he didn't like having Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, and Tony Romo throwing to him, what would he think of Kyle Orton?

* Speaking of the Bears, can anyone tell me why Gale Sayers is in the Hall of Fame? I'm still puzzled by this. He was "good-Devin-Hester" on (a rather small number of) kickoff returns for three years, put up OK-but-not-great rushing numbers for five, and finished his career with less than 5,000 yards rushing. I'm still not getting something, obviously.

* No T.O. for the Vikings (I hope), but Torry Holt wouldn't be bad.

* Finally, while it's nice to browse pictures of Alyssa Milano all day, I'm puzzled by her choice of teams for her line of MLB apparel. If you'll notice the list on the left, there are 27 teams listed. The only ones not present are the Blue Jays, Rays -- both of whom rate near the bottom of the league in popularity -- and the Twins, who have been ranked considerably higher all decade.

Just for that, Alyssa, I'm only going to look at pictures of you for one hour today, instead of two. That'll learn ya.

1 comment:

baseball dvds said...

I am afraid that this statement is not correct"I think I want Terrell Owens to go to the Bears, which is rumored to be one of the places he might end up (despite what this article says, I think the chance of him landing in Minnesota are just about nil).".
".I would appreciate if you can further elaborate this.Thank you.

baseball dvds.